The derrick, located east of the depot on Commerce Street along the railroad tracks, is dedicated to Alvin Monroe (Al) Sutton (1879-1948) by his grandson, Ben. E. Sutton.
The elder Sutton was born in Hot Springs County, Arkansas, and wildcatted in Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas before coming to East Texas in 1929. He operated Sutton & Sutton with Ben E. Sutton Sr., Sutton & Demontrand, Sutton & Hawkins and Navila Oil Corporation.
He had a firewood yard as a teenager for his livelihood, and later reflected it was his first venture into the energy business. According to his grandson, the energy business was his lifetime love, and he always dealt with fairness so he could go back for business or maybe just to visit.
The derrick was donated by Mike and Darlene Dailey, and sons Brandon and Justin, in honor of Virgel H. Dailey, Bobby 0. Dailey and Eugene Mayo Sr.